The City of Winnipeg is a vibrant and dynamic organization with many opportunities!
We offer a diverse and welcoming work environment that delivers quality services to our citizens.
Assessment & Taxation Department
Posting No: 117613
Closing Date: February 20, 2019
Under the general supervision of an Area Coordinator, the incumbent is responsible for collecting, recording, verifying, discussing, and analyzing property and business data, following departmental operating procedures and processes. In addition, the Valuation Officer completes property valuations for assigned property, using predetermined valuation parameters and the departmental computer systems. The incumbent is also responsible for maintaining the quality standards of the department.
As the Valuation Officer you will:
- Gather assessment related data and enter into computer system for assigned property, using various assessment, measuring, and recording techniques.
- Verify, review, and analyze qualitative and quantitative data for valuation purposes.
- Research and analyze market transactions, including the application of statistical skills and tools to support assessed values.
- Generate and present/defend property valuations.
- Communicate/respond to assessment and tax related information to the Public and in response to inquiries.
- Prepare and present evidence at appeal tribunals.
- Supervise junior personnel as required.
- Check and validate own/other work and assist in corrective/preventive actions.
- Perform general office work in connection with realty and business assessment roll production.
- Perform other duties compatible with the classification as assigned.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Technical College Diploma or University Degree in a related discipline, OR five years of industry related practical work experience (e.g. real estate sales, appraisal, assessment valuation, real estate development/leasing management).
- Must have 36 months of prior related work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and other employees.
- Thorough knowledge of the appraisal process and valuation approaches.
- Thorough knowledge of the valuation and classification of agricultural/farm properties.
- Thorough knowledge of the valuation and classification of grantable properties.
- Knowledge of factors influencing the market value of land and buildings.
- Knowledge of general legislation and policies governing assessment procedures.
- Demonstrated computer skills, including statistical analysis software and basic keyboarding skills.
- Knowledge of building construction and materials, and ability to read and interpret blue prints and specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to make accurate mathematical calculations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and set and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to pay attention to detail and accuracy, multi-task, and utilize effective time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Conditions of employment:
- Must possess a Certificate in Real Property Assessment or a Post-Graduate Certificate in Real Property Valuation (PGCV) or a Canadian Residential Appraisal (CRA) designation.
- Possess, or acquire within 48 months, the AAOM Accreditation. The Canadian Residential Appraiser (CRA) designation will be accepted as an equivalency but is not required by the department.
- Possess and maintain a valid Manitoba class 5 Driver’s License.
- A Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the applicant(s) or successful candidate(s), at their expense. To obtain Police Information Check information please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
CORE COMPETENCIES for ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
How to Apply
APPLY ONLINE, including all documentation listed below:
- Current resume (Required).
- Cover Letter
Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.
If you do NOT have access to a computer/email, please apply, including all documentation listed above, to: Staffing Branch, HR Services, Main Floor – 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB by 4:30 P.M., February 20, 2019
- This position is part of the Valuation Series (Field Assistant, Valuation Officer and Assessor). Successful applicants will be hired in the appropriate classification based on their qualifications, education, and experience.
- Applicants may be required to undergo testing to determine their knowledge, skills and abilities as they relate to the qualifications of the position.
- Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/. For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ’s or contact 311. The City of Winnipeg uses the Korn Ferry Leadership Architect Competency Model as part of the recruitment process.
- The salary range for this position is $2,140.67 – $2,868.96 biweekly
- We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
WE SEEK DIVERSITY IN OUR WORKPLACE. INDIGENOUS PERSONS, WOMEN, VISIBLE MINORITIES, AND PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY ARE ENCOURAGED TO SELF-DECLARE.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.