The City of Winnipeg is a vibrant and dynamic organization with many opportunities!
We offer a diverse and welcoming work environment that delivers quality services to our citizens.
Assessment & Taxation Department
Posting No: 117615
Closing Date: February 20, 2019
Under the supervision of an Area Coordinator, and following departmental operating procedures and processes, the incumbent is responsible to develop and defend property valuations and assessments for all property types, utilizing appraisal methodology principles and techniques, assessment theory, practice, procedures, standards and administration. The incumbent rotates through various departmental assessment positions as required, and is responsible to maintain the quality standards of the department.
As the Assessor you will:
- Develop real property assessment values of all types of property.
- Prepare and present evidence at appeal tribunals.
- Review, analyze and develop statistical data for all property types to establish valuation parameters.
- Assist with the coordination of data flow in connection with reassessment and maintenance activities for all property types.
- Communicate assessment and tax related information to the Public and other staff, and responds to inquiries by identifying and providing technical assistance related to valuation policy, procedures and legislation.
- Assist in the evaluation of existing methods and procedures to determine possible improvements in efficiency and accuracy of operational procedures.
- Assist in the research, development and instruction of in-service training programs for assessment personnel.
- Perform quality checks on own and others work, and assist in corrective/preventive actions.
- Perform general office work in connection with realty and business assessment roll production.
- Assume assigned duties of the immediate supervisor in his/her absence, on occasion.
- Supervise personnel as required.
- Perform other duties compatible with the classification as assigned.
Your education and qualifications include:
- A diploma in Urban Land Economics; and Designation of Certified Assessment Evaluator (CAE) through IAAO or Designation of Accredited Appraiser (AACI), Commercial and Industrial through the Appraisal Institute of Canada or Accreditation from the Assessors Association of Manitoba (AAOM).
- Demonstrated advanced communications skills, both written and verbal and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and other employees.
- Thorough knowledge of the techniques and application of real property mass appraisal methods.
- Thorough knowledge of related legislation in Manitoba.
- Demonstrated advanced computer skills including statistical analysis software and basic typing skills.
- Ability to assemble, comprehend, analyze and draw conclusions from diverse information and data.
- Ability to coordinate and direct the activities of teams and gain the cooperation of others.
- Ability to prepare for and conduct formal training sessions, and prepare technical reports, procedural manuals and instructional handbooks.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize tasks and set and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills, and the ability to pay attention to detail and make accurate and timely decisions.
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively.
Conditions of employment:
- Possess and maintain a valid Manitoba class 5 Driver’s License.
- A Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the applicant(s) or successful candidate(s), at their expense. To obtain Police Information Check information please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position.
CORE COMPETENCIES for ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
How to Apply
APPLY ONLINE, including all documentation listed below:
- Current resume (Required) AND cover letter
Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.
If you do NOT have access to a computer/email, please apply, including all documentation listed above, to: Staffing Branch, HR Services, Main Floor – 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB by 4:30 P.M., Wednesday, February 20, 2019.
- Applicants may be required to undergo testing to determine their knowledge, skills and abilities as they relate to the qualifications of the position.
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/. For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ’s or contact 311. The City of Winnipeg uses the Korn Ferry Leadership Architect Competency Model as part of the recruitment process.
The salary range for this position is $2,812.02 – $3,350.82 biweekly
We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
WE SEEK DIVERSITY IN OUR WORKPLACE. INDIGENOUS PERSONS, WOMEN, VISIBLE MINORITIES, AND PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY ARE ENCOURAGED TO SELF-DECLARE.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.